Bring data teams together with data contracts
- You will learn, how to use data contracts as a collaboration tool to discuss data requirements.
- You will also learn, how data contracts be used for automation, later in the development process.
- You will understand, that a data contract is more than just a schema.
- You will be able to write your first data contract as a YAML document.
In the world of software engineering, we know how important explicit, clearly documented, and stable interfaces are, and what effects unannounced breaking changes can have. We use Swagger, OpenAPI or AsyncAPI for this purpose, and on top of that tools for code generation or contract-based testing. In the world of data, there has never been anything comparable, and unannounced breaking changes, such as schema changes, are unfortunately common there.
In this talk, I want to introduce the Data Contract Specification (datacontract.com) in more detail. I want to show how interfaces are described in the world of data, and how this interface documentation differs from the world of software engineering. We will design an interface together in Data Contract Studio (studio.datacontract.com), and then use the Data Contract CLI (github.com/datacontract/cli) to simulate detecting a breaking change.
- 08:30 - 09:30
- Conference / Event
- Øredev Developer Conference
- Malmö Mässan, Exhibition & Conference Center, Malmö