What are the most common criticisms/doubts people have about using RESTful HTTP?
Here is an initial list I’ve come up with (please note that I’m not conceding any of them are justified ;-) :
- REST may be usable for CRUD, but not for “real” business logic
- Who would actually want to expose so much of their application?
- Resources are too low-level, i.e. an implementation detail one should not expose
- There is no formal contract/no description language
- REST works with HTTP only, it’s not transport protocol independent (I shuddered when I wrote this)
- No transactions
- No reliability
- No (message-based) security
- No vendor/tool support
- No asynchronous interactions
- No pub/sub support
Did I miss any?